The Book of Azathoth is an homage to the American sci-fi and horror author, H.P. Lovecraft. The 78 card deck is designed to give the feel of being of Lovecraft's universe, as used by one of his characters. Self-published and available from the artist.
Tarot Deck - 78 Cards - Seeking a Publisher 2012
The Book Of Azathoth Tarot Deck is printed in two colours - black and various shades of goldish yellowish brownish that all mix together as various shading. Cards have the card name, Hebrew letter and with many other tarot symbols in the corners of each card. The deck totally follows the RWS tradition while using Lovecraft monsters, creatures, and aliens, for any people represented in the card. It's easy to read for anyone who knows RWS decks.
Examples of how the cards depict Lovecraft stuff:
1. The Fool has dog, cliff, stick and bag symbols along with ghoulish face and blood dripping where the dog bites the Fool's leg.
2. The Star has a beautiful nude woman pouring liquids from pitchers held in both hands while a monster in the water watches her.
3. The Aces are held by hands with long craggily finger nails and weird skin.
4. Three of Swords just like the Rider-Waite but the 'heart' is a human heart aortas and all - pierced with the three swords.
5. Wand card humans are monsters with devil tails and horns.
6. Cup cards have amphibian type monsters.
All cards are extremely detailed with each taking time to appreciate all the symbols that are pictured. An knower of both tarot and Lovecraft will love these and there are really two completely clear pathways for reading the cards that are available.
I am a collector who
likes art decks and that is why I got this one. It is
definitely more whimsical and humorous than the 'other'
Lovecraft deck. There's no companion booklet, but none needed as you could read
any traditional one and get the point.